11th Annual Front Range Playwrights'Showcase
Coal Creek Theater of Louisville, CO seeks submissions for their 11th Annual Front Range Playwrights’ Showcase.
Colorado playwrights are invited to submit their short plays by June 2, 2017.
- CCTL is soliciting scripts for one-act plays of 15 – 40 minutes in performance length. No plays with a run time longer than 40 minutes will be considered. Any musical submissions must include song lyrics and at minimum a CD or MP3 file of the musical numbers.
- Only one (1) submission per playwright. Please do not submit a play that has been submitted in previous years even if that play has undergone revisions in the meantime.
- Playwrights must be residents of the state of Colorado. (Exceptions may be made on a case-by-case basis for those living in towns that immediately border state lines.)
- Scripts must include a cast list with brief character descriptions, a short summary of the play, and an estimate of the play's running time.
- Preferred method of submission is electronic in either Word or PDF format and MP3's for musicals.
- If you wish to submit by USPS, 6 copies of each script (+ musical CD if applicable) must be submitted in standard manuscript format and bound, not stapled, with card stock cover. Copies will not be returned.
- Please include a cover letter with title of play and ALL contact information for playwright: address, phone and email address.
- A short playwright bio or resume should also be included.
- Please send scripts and supporting documentation either via email to email@example.com (preferred) or mail to CCTL Showcase, Attn: Play Reading Committee at P.O. Box 791, Louisville, CO 80027.
- Deadline for submissions is June 2, 2017. Finalists will be notified by July 9, 2017.
- Scripts that have been previously performed as staged readings or as part of educational projects are eligible, but scripts that have been professionally published or performed for a paying audience are not eligible. Playwrights are required to confirm that this is the case for their submissions.
- All scripts submitted will be read, reviewed and scored by the members of the Play Reading Committee. Three or four finalists (depending on the performance time of the selected pieces) will be chosen for a reader’s theater presentation at the Coal Creek Theater of Louisville Front Range Playwrights’ Showcase on Friday, August 25, 2017. The entries will be adjudicated by a distinguished panel of judges. The winning playwright will receive a cash award and may have a fully realized production of his or her one-act staged by CCTL at some time during the 2018 season.
- RIGHT OF FIRST REFUSAL: Coal Creek Theater of Louisville (CCTL) requests Right of First Refusal with regard to mounting a fully realized production (at some point in calendar year 2018) of any play chosen as a Showcase finalist. In other words, by agreeing to be a finalist in the Showcase, the playwright implicitly grants CCTL exclusive rights to present his or her play as a fully produced premiere event at some point in CCTL's 2018 season; for example, as part of an "evening of one acts" or as CCTL’s 2018 entry in the Colorado Community Theater Coalition's annual Festival competition. If CCTL decides not to produce the play within their 2018 season, CCTL will inform the playwright(s) in a timely fashion, at which point their play will be released for production elsewhere.
The winner of the 1st Annual Front Range Playwrights’ Showcase, The Organist’s Daughter by William C. Kovacsik, won FIRST PLACE at the CCTC Festival and competed at the American Association of Community Theater’s Regional Competition in 2009. The winner of the 3rd Annual Front Range Playwrights’ Showcase, Senior Moments by Don Fried, earned its leading actor “Best Actor” honors at both the state and regional competitions in 2010 and 2011. Don also received a special award at the AACT Regional Festival for his original work. Other winners have since had their works published and/or performed regionally, nationally, and internationally.